nut and seed bars
Need a snack for on-the-go that’s not too sweet? Here’s one of our go-to’s…
Tools: food processor with chopping blade, sushi mold
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 1/4 cup pitted dates (packed)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2-1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (for chocolate bars)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- Place nuts in food processor and pulse 3-5 times until lightly chopped. Pour into large bowl.
- Place paste and paste-add-ins in food processor. Turn on and keep it running until dates and other ingredients form a smooth ball.
- Mix seeds in with chopped nuts.
- With hands, massage paste into the nut/seed mix until evenly coated. When you grab a handful and squeeze, then and only then should it really hold together.
- Scoop 1/3-1/2 cup of mixture into the sushi mold. Press as firmly as you are able (I use a wood block on top of the handle to help me press more evenly and firmly).
- Tightly wrap pressed bars in plastic wrap and refrigerate to set. These will keep in the refrigerator for a month.